What is common to a camper, a mountaineer, a cook, a handyman, a hunter or a soldier? The knife, of course! Also called a pocket knife or knife, this little tool shieldon knives exists in different models, sizes and functions. To help you find yours, here are the key factors to consider.
Criterion n°1: The number of sheets
Available in 3 versions, the pocket knife can be a single blade, multi-function (Swiss Army knife) or multi-blade.
- With a blade: The most traditional, this type of knife is folding, thin and quite simple. It mainly incorporates a fairly solid opening, closing and locking mechanism. If you need to make simple cuts, this is your pocket knife.
- Multi-blade: Unquestionably it responds to the most varied needs. Offering between 2 and 4 blades, it is useful in different situations, such as cutting food or even carving wood. However, it is less robust than the 1-leaf model.
- Multifunction: It is a multi-purpose knife. It will serve you both in the kitchen and outdoors during your excursions. You will find, among other things, a can opener, a corkscrew, a nail clipper, screwdrivers, etc.
Criterion n°2: The size of the sheet
For those looking for discretion and lightness, prefer the knife with a small blade (less than 7 cm long). However, we would like to point out that this type of model will certainly not help you skin the game. Leaves with a length that varies between 7 and 10 cm are considered medium in size, while beyond that, you will be dealing with a large leaf. You can buy this type knife online from shieldon knives store.
Criterion n°3: The material of the sheet
The higher the quality of the blade, the more effective it will be. In most cases, it is made of stainless steel, a durable and resistant material. On the other hand, for optimal robustness, you can choose between carbon steel or stainless carbon steel.
Please note that carbon steel is very popular in the field of hunting. There are also blades made with +12% chrome, which further enhances their hardness and allows them to effectively resist corrosion. Damascus steel blades, on the other hand, are intended more for collectors.
Criterion n°4: The handle
Regardless of the level of pressure exerted on the knife, its handle must remain in the same state of robustness as in the early days. It guarantees ease of handling and unmatched comfort. In this sense, various materials can enter into its design, including:
Aluminum: durable and easy to handle material.
- The wood: If it is treated, it will be of good solidity.
- The G-10: Robust and light, it is essentially made of fiberglass.
- Celluloid: This material results from the synthesis of plastic from cellulose nitrate.
- Stainless steel, rubber or titanium is also interesting options.
Criterion n°5: The opening and locking mechanism
Current knives will offer you 3 opening modes, namely: manual, automatic or assisted. The manual system being the most common and safe, it integrates the majority of multi-blade and multi-function models. The automatic mechanism, on the other hand, turns out to be a bit too dangerous because the sash can spontaneously come out in case you inadvertently press the opening button.
The assisted opening system requires a bit of effort on your part to remove the sash. Also, the locking system, used to prevent the sash from accidentally closing, varies from brand to brand. The catch can be activated before using the knife.